Fabrice Grinda, Angel Investor In 500+ Companies // The Future Of Marketplaces
Missing Payroll 27x, To 500+ Investments
Fabrice Grinda has been called the most prolific angel investor in the world. He was named #1 in a Forbes piece, ranking angel investors based on volume + number of exits.
He’s generated hundreds of millions of dollars in exits from the 500+ investments, including companies like Alibaba, Viagogo, Tencent, Airbnb, Betterment, Uber, Fanduel & Palantir.
Before setting up his “startup studio” & investment fund, he started and sold multiple companies. This including OLX, the “Craigslist” marketplace of countries like India, Brazil & Pakistan.
But things weren’t always so rosy.
Fabrice shares stories of living on $2/day, living in his office because he couldn’t afford an apartment & missing payroll 27 times!
We also do a deep dive into his area of expertise: the future of marketplaces, how he’d think of business ideas if starting today, the science of happiness, minimalism, and why we’re still at the very beginning of the digital revolution.
Five Things To Listen Out For:
(1) Reasons to be optimistic – why we’re the luckiest people in the world to be alive at this time and why we’re only at 1% of the tech revolution
(2) Minimalism – from living on a 20-acre estate in Bedford, New York, to “island shopping” and then selling all his possessions – Fabrice has lived both extremes and shares his perspective on a healthy balance
(3) The Science of Happiness – factors that make people happy and hacks to maximize your own “mean level of happiness”
(4) The Future of Marketplaces – 3 trends in marketplace businesses and a framework for thinking about business ideas
(5) How Venture Capital Works– the typical startup investing cycle, from initial investment to venture capital funding levels at series A, B, C etc.