Jane Lu, Showpo // The story behind her fashion e-commerce empire
1 min read
The Aussie Girl Boss
Jane Lu was named “Cosmopolitan’s Girl Boss of the Year”, “Forbes 30 under 30” and her company, Showpo, was crowned Australia’s “Online Retailer of the Year” in 2018.
But rewind a few years and Jane was struggling for motivation in her accountancy career. In this revealing interview – she discusses what it took to take a risk to go all-in on her business while having to hide it from her parents while living in the same house!
We dig into the details of how she took her first steps, grew the company with zero investment, built an audience on social with millions of followers, and how she would approach starting an e-commerce business from scratch today.
If you’re interested in starting your own retail business or growing an existing brand, there is so much for you to take from this awesome interview. Jane Lu is a true entrepreneur through and through.
Five Things To Listen Out For
(1) Leaving her job + keeping it a secret from her parents – how Jane plucked up the courage to leave her job in the middle of the financial crisis
(2) Her first failed business – connecting the dots from her first failure, getting out of debt and launching Showpo
(3) Working ON her business, vs IN her business – how a trip to Ultra Music Festival forced Jane to replace her work by hiring someone full time and the lessons from that experience
(4) Growing to $60mil with zero investment – we go into detail from when she was bringing in $5k/month, and the things she did to grow step-by-step, why she chose to never raise money, keep control and grow
(5) If she started again today– how she would start an e-commerce business today & actionable tactics around growing a social following, paid vs organic, youtube content strategy & more
Preview: Coming Up With An Idea & Making Her First Sale
You can watch & subscribe to Creator Lab videos on YouTube here. Or listen, just search for “Creator Lab” on your favorite podcast app.