Daire Hickey was named on the Forbes 30 under 30 list for his incredible work helping Web Summit grow from 200 to 50,000 attendees in just 6 years to become Europe’s largest tech conference.
They are on course to achieve double-digit millions in revenue ($XXm) and have had everyone from Elon Musk, Jack Dorsey, Chris Sacca & Eva Longoria attend their events
In this revealing podcast interview, Daire goes into the full story of how The Web Summit started, how they grew the company to start other conferences like Collision Conference, and how he personally helped bring a-list speakers to the event.
Five things to listen out for:
(1) Starting up – how Paddy, Daire and Dave started Web Summit in Dublin, where they quickly established themselves as the hottest event in town.
(2) Hanging Out With Al Pacino – how he tracked down famous celebrities like Al Pacino to get them to attend events at Trinity College. And later, using those same skills to convince the world’s press & top entrepreneurs including the founders of Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest & Tesla to attend their events.
(3) Reinventing The ‘Tech Conference’- how they use technology to be smarter about marketing, logistics & attendee experience.
(4) Growing into emerging markets – how they’ve grown into building events around the world in India, New Orleans, Madrid, Hong Kong and more. What were the mistakes made along the way and what he would do differently?
(5) Getting Personal – What does success mean to him? Who does he look up to? What does his future look like? We even get to talk about his favorite 27-course restaurant in New York. And some taco recommendations to finish off!
- Myspace pics [5m24s]
- What did he want to be when he grew up? [11m42s]
- Hanging out with Al Pacino [14m59s]
- Finding email addresses for publicists & getting in contact [21m19s]
- Starting the Web Summit [22m13s]
- Convincing the world’s press to attend their event [29m36s]
- Events that went wrong [43m38s]
- Fire in Paddy’s house! [44m10s]
- Story of Drew Houston, the founder of Dropbox singing Oasis to a bar full of people in Dublin [46m30s]
- Hiring good people & the future of Web Summit [47m]
- What they have engineers working on [49m10s]
- What makes a great story [52m35s]
- What is he most excited about in the technology space [56m]
- Emerging markets [58m52s]
- Meeting Elon Musk [1hr1m]
- The market is giving Twitter a rough time [1hr3m47s]
- Story of Uber closing Series B round in Dublin [1hr7m44s]
- What does success mean to him [1hr8m43s]
- What are his future plans [1hr17m12s]
- Quickfire questions [1hr18m12s]
- Favorite NYC restaurant & favorite taco place [1hr22m37s]