Jos White is a serial entrepreneur and investor at Notion Capital.
In this conversation, he shares his story from growing up in England, to getting expelled from school, starting a business with his brother & how they managed to sell 3 different companies for more than $800 million!
Five Things To Listen Out For
(1) Growing up in England – going to the same school as Richard Branson and getting expelled from school.
(2) Starting a business with his brother – early signs of entrepreneurship and what it was like setting up a company with his family.
(3) Multiple exits – most entrepreneurs dream of having a multi-million dollar exit once. But Jos did this time and time again with 3 different companies. We go into what he built and how he sold the companies.
(4) Learning from his entrepreneurial journey – funding their businesses, finding a CTO, navigating the crash of 2000, knowing when it was the right time to sell, common mistakes people make when pitching for investment
(5) Legacy – what he cares most about, what makes people happy & how we wants to keep having an impact
[3m38s] What he was like as a kid
[5m35s] Going to same school as Richard Branson and getting expelled from school
[9m33s] Can you learn to be an entrepreneur and what he studied at school
[10m58s] Earliest exposure to business
[15m10s] Moving to Thailand
[17m29s] Genesis of RBR Networks
[20m25s] Making more than £1m a month and getting their first sale
[22m02s] Splitting up the responsibility
[23m03s] Transitioning from marketing person to leader
[24m50s] Knowing his weaknesses
[27m17s] How they funded their business
[31m42s] Hiring good people
[34m06s] Selling the company for $50M
[35m47s] What they did the day they sold the company
[38m44s] Coming up with the idea for Message Labs
[42m05s] Finding a CTO
[47m03s] Navigating the crash of 2000
[48m21s] Knowing when to sell a company
[54m59s] Switching to an investor, what he looks for in an investment
[56m56s] Common mistakes people make when pitching for investment
[58m52s] What is keeping him motivated? Having a chip on your shoulder
[1hr] What success means to him
[1hr2m] Having financial success & social responsibility